Dr. Lora Park
Ph.D., University of Michigan
Office: 344 Park Hall
Phone: (716) 645-0228
Summary of Research Interests:
My research program focuses broadly on questions pertaining to the self, self-esteem, motivation, and interpersonal processes. In one line of research, I examine how threats to domains of contingent self-worth, such as experiencing failure, rejection, or feeling unattractive, affect people's goal pursuits and behavioral preferences. A second line of work examines how sensitivity to appearance-based rejection affects people's mental and physical health and interpersonal outcomes. A third line of research examines how pursuit of goals related to appearing romantically desirable versus intelligent shapes men’s and women's academic performance and interest in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM). The overarching theme of my research is to demonstrate that goals and motives are shaped by aspects of the person and the situation and have important implications for behavior, performance, and well-being.
- Park, L. E., Young, A. F., Troisi, J. D., & Pinkus, R. T. (2011). Effects of everyday romantic goal pursuit on women’s attitudes toward math and science. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 37, 1259-1273.
- Park, L. E., Troisi, J. D., & Maner, J. K. (2011). Egoistic versus altruistic concerns in communal relationships. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 28, 315-335.
- Park, L. E., Sanchez, D. T., & Brynildsen, K. (2011). Maladaptive responses to romantic breakup: The role of relationship contingent self-worth. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 41, 1749-1773.
- Park, L. E. (2010). Responses to self-threat: Linking self and relational constructs with approach and avoidance motivation. Social and Personality Psychology Compass, 4, 201-221.
- Park, L. E., & Harwin, M. J. (2010). Visible vs. non-visible rejection: Consequences of appearance-based rejection sensitivity. Journal of Research in Personality, 44, 128-132.
- Park, L. E., Calogero, R. M., Young, A. F., & DiRaddo, A. (2010). Appearance-based rejection sensitivity predicts body dysmorphic disorder symptoms and cosmetic surgery acceptance. Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology, 29, 489-509.
- Park, L. E., & Maner, J. K. (2009). Does self-threat promote social connection? The role of self-esteem and contingencies of self-worth. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 96, 203-217.
- Park, L. E., & Pinkus, R. T. (2009). Interpersonal effects of appearance-based rejection sensitivity. Journal of Research in Personality, 43, 602-612.
- Park, L. E., DiRaddo, A., & Calogero, R. (2009). Sociocultural influence and appearance-based rejection sensitivity among college students. Psychology of Women Quarterly, 33, 108-119.
- Park, L. E., Calogero, R. M., Harwin, M. J., & DiRaddo, A. (2009). Predicting interest in cosmetic surgery: Interactive effects of appearance-based rejection sensitivity and negative appearance comments. Body Image, 6, 186-193.
- Park, L. E., & Crocker, J. (2008). Contingencies of self-worth and responses to negative interpersonal feedback. Self and Identity, 7, 184-203.
- Park, L. E. (2007). Appearance-based rejection sensitivity: Implications for mental and physical health, affect, and motivation. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 33, 490-504.
- Park, L. E., Crocker, J., & Kiefer, A. K. (2007). Contingencies of self-worth, academic failure, and goal pursuit. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 33, 1503-1517.
- Park, L. E., Crocker, J., & Vohs, K. D. (2006). Contingencies of self-worth and self-validation goals: Implications for close relationships. In K. D. Vohs & E. J. Finkel (Eds.) Self and relationships: Connecting intrapersonal and interpersonal processes, 84-103. New York: Guilford Press.
- Park, L. E., & Crocker, J. (2005). Interpersonal consequences of seeking self-esteem. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 11, 1587-1598.
- Park, L. E., Crocker, J., & Mickelson, K. D. (2004). Attachment styles and contingencies of self-worth. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 30, 1243-1254.
- Crocker, J., & Park, L.E. (2004). The costly pursuit of self-esteem. Psychological Bulletin, 130, 392–414.
- Crocker, J., & Park, L. E. (2003). Seeking self-esteem: Construction, maintenance, and protection of self-worth. In M. Leary & J. Tangney (Eds.), Handbook of Self and Identity, 291-313. New York: Guilford Press.